. .

Welcome to James Craven's Blog

I've recently created this page with the intent of helping my fellow marketer. Over the past months I've written dozens upon dozens of articles that I've either posted on enzines, or just kept stuffed away in my desk. Well I figure it's time to put them to some use. So I've gathered them up along with some e-books, free software and a few other goodies. I love to write, so if there is anything you would like to hear my opinion about or basic fact, please let me know and I will get right on it. I am just a normal guy with just a little extra time on my hands. The internet has set me free financially and if you would trust in me I will take your hand and guide you down the path to prosperity. Why do you ask? Because in order to succeed in this business we must all help one another, otherwise it will not work. That is my belief and I trust in it. Sincerely, James Craven

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Three Reasons Why A Leader Is A Follower First

One of the reasons why employees leave their work despite high compensation is the attitude of supervisors or managers. Instead of motivating and leading their teams to accomplish the groups' goals, a lot of supervisors and managers are busy enforcing their power over their followers. Instead of helping their teammates to grow and achieve the objectives, such leaders are only bossing their subordinates around and are unwilling to share and pass their knowledge and skills to others. If you have supervisors and managers like this in your company or group, you will notice a high turnover of employees.

Kings, princes and even sultans can be born rulers. However, great leaders are developed and made. Nobody has a birthright to become a good leader. You have to understand that rulers aren't necessarily great leaders. In order to become a great leader, you need to be a follower first.

Here are the three reasons why a leader should be a follower first:

Better understanding of the plight of subordinates

A leader who came from the ranks usually knows and understands the plight of his or her underlings. You won't only be able to empathize with your teammates, but you will also know the tricks under their sleeves. You will know when to show compassion and when to be strict. It is a known fact that employees or followers have tendencies to procrastinate, look for ways to make their jobs easier even if the quality isn't good, and try to steal company resources, such as time and supplies. Thus, a leader who is familiar with the ins and outs of the company or group has a better advantage of taming his or her crew.

Leading by example

Many employees look up to supervisors and managers who know how to lead by example. If you want your subordinates to follow the rules of the organization or the company, you should be the first to follow such edicts or orders. For instance, bosses who are always tardy and absent can't expect their subordinates to willingly arrive on time. On the other hand, if bosses go to work early, employees will have no reason to arrive late regularly.

Getting respect and awe

Many people believe that respect is earned. Thus, if you are a leader or the chief executive of a company, employees won't necessarily respect you if you don't give them any reason to do so. In order to gain respect, you need to be a humble leader. You need to accept your mistakes and graciously hear other people's suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment